Saturday, May 31, 2014

Cascade


This variety are apparently vigorous growers in SE WI.  

This is year three, people.  This is supposed to be the year that you get all the hops.  And since I got a whole pound off of this plant last year, that seems like it could be a reality.  I have already pruned it back so much at the base and with all the extra little shoots coming off of the base (not to mention the shoots coming up three feet from the base and out into the yard.  It already has laterals that are a foot long.

My Mt. Hood plant is running a distant second and the Willamette is third.  I had a Nugget plant that did not make it through the winter.  Too bad, so sad.  But it is an interesting experiment in which varieties like this climate.  We'll see what happens this year, but I could almost be OK taking the other two out and just letting this guy run wild.  


No comments:

Post a Comment