Monday, September 29, 2014

New Year's Ale


This is going to be a holiday spice ale for one of our pregnant friends.  She misses beer, and her baby is due right around the new year, so the style is apropos.  I hope she likes it.  It's an extract batch, because I had a bunch of extract that I was saving for something.  Turns out I was saving it for this.

There comes a certain point in one's homebrewing journey when you say, "I'd like to make beer today" with no planning and no recipe.  You go down to look at your stash, grab a little of this, and a little of that; some hops out of the freezer from that time (or timeS) that you bought too many hops... and compose something, like jazz.  It has structure within restrictions, but it is improvisational.   

6 lbs Maris Otter extract
3 lbs Munich Malt extract
3 lbs Rye Malt extract

1oz UK East Kent Goldings @ 60 minutes
1/2 oz UK Fuggle @ 30 minutes

Wyeast 1028 London Ale

I will add some honey once fermentation has peaked, and I will add some mulling spices in secondary, about a week or two before bottling.


No comments:

Post a Comment