Saturday, August 16, 2014

Hops update 8/14




The lighting's a little off (mostly because these pictures were not all taken at the same time) but once again, I have plenty of Cascade hops.  I'm going to harvest them a little earlier this year than I did last year.  I think they got sunburned and overdry on the bines while I was waiting for them to get "papery" or whatever I had read on the internet about hop cone ripeness.

There's also a decent showing from the Mt. Hood and Williamette plants.  The clothesline is drooping, as expected; but it's drooping way *more* than it did last year.  I had considered a taut stainless steel cable and some sort of tensioning system, but I think I'll use some intermediate support posts next time.  They can serve the dual purpose of training the bines up to the line, and supporting it once the plants start getting heavy.  Mo' vertical, mo' hops.

I wonder how things are going in Minnesota?


No comments:

Post a Comment