Friday, December 12, 2014

Holiday Spices


So I put this New Year's Ale together back in September (now I'm calling it Winter Spice Ale) and it's time to add the spices.  I have a cider in an extended fermentation (I *always* have a cider in extended fermentation, because you never know) so I decided to do a little experiment and get two beers into the holiday spirit.  Both batches got the above spice blend: cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, whole cloves, and some nutmeg.  I think that's the "parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme" of Xmas.  I wasn't sure how much to add, so I looked in the joy of cooking under spiced apple pie and put in enough spices for a whole pie.  A good spiced beer is like a slice of pie, right?

If you want to taste them side by side, hit up ilbmke.com for the December 2014 tasting, they'll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment