Saturday, December 7, 2013

Oh. My. Gaah.


We've entered a new era.  One in which I can make awesome Kimchi.  I know it looks like garbage (please do not inquire about how it smells) but it is so good.  The brine is good, the crunch is there but things are definitely "tenderized," the salt level is nice, the spice is just about right-on; it's the whole package, and I'm really proud of it.  

The best part is that my second batch, which I transferred last night from the initial fermenting bucket with jug weight to glass jars, is even better!  I think I don't really like the taste from the daikon in the first batch.  I've never really liked radishes, and while whatever harsh flavor they had is definitely faded, there's still a radish-funk that I'm not totally into.  Totally edible, though.  Totally.  Oh, and a shout out to Susan where I work who grew the napa cabbage (which she called bok choy) for the second batch.  Teamwork.  I need to get her some, but I'll probably put it in a pint jar... it's too good to give away too much.

1 comment:

  1. If you do unto cucumber slices as you do to dai-kon you will be delighted with the results. I hunt all over Asian markets in the Chicago area to find it done this way. Very rare, but excellent

    ReplyDelete