Saturday, December 14, 2013

Southern Tier

This week I found myself at Sugar Maple where they had Southern Tier's Pumking on Firkin.  I am a big lover and proponent of cask-conditioned beer.  It was so good.  I have said before, if you told me 5 years ago that I would be drooling over flat, room temperature beer, I would have said you were crazy, but it's really the best.

I think it is more difficult to get right, and less tolerant of aging effects and mediocre beer.  It's the kind of thing that's better when it's better and worse when it's not.  It doesn't scale up well, since the casks have to settle in, and yet it requires a certain level of consumption, as the clock starts ticking once you tap it.  It's the kind of dichotomy that I love, any faster or slower, any more or less technology, and it only gets worse.

I have been meaning to compile a list of bars in Milwaukee with an engine, perhaps that's a good idea for a separate page of links and ratings/reviews...

No comments:

Post a Comment